Thursday, January 3, 2008

Take a step back...

The first day of my 29th year (being a 28 year old) is off to a smashing start. In the room we have had for the last few nights here in Cusco there is an uncovered skylight directly above the bed, so when the sun came up at 5:15 I found myself at the first fork of my day. I took the path to not squint my way back to sleep and explored the Cusco morning. It was beautifully crisp and quiet, however awakening. First I got my complimentary coca tea from the hostel and beat the owners kid to the TV lounge to catch a few minutes of CNN in English in attempt to keep in touch with the shenanigans surrounding the Iowa Caucases and other world news from the perspectives of american mainstream news, which I soon realized to not be missing.

I proceeded to walk to the other side of town practicing my spanish with locals along the way for directions and small talk (very small) along the way to the post office which actually was open when I arrived, only to learn that the possibility of sending a box of cheap alpaca sweaters, hats and blankets home is near non-existant at 85 soles/kilo (28 dollars). Then I got a breakfast sandwich at delicious little cafe called Jacks (fairly american however great for getting my fix of bacon and good coffee, neither of which we´ve seen any of here or in Ecuador. Ironic considering the heaps of great coffee that comes out of these countries..? mostly just dehydrated nes cafe, or as its coffee snob name is here ¨no es cafe¨). After chatting with an old guy from London, I had time to reflect a bit in my man log (not a diary!).

So its the 3rd of January and today I am going to travel from Cusco, Peru to Montevideo, Uruguay. Once more: I am going from Peru, where I have spent a truely breathtaking week hiking through ancient ruins, to Uruguay where we have almost a month to explore our way to Chilie. Non the less, I am doing all of this with my little sweetie love of my life, as we approach the midway point of our amazing 3 month trip through South America! Pretty freaking awesome. I am a truely fortunate person, and I am super thankful for all of the opportunities that have been afforded to me through the first 28 years of my life. I have a wonderful family who supports me in all that I take on, more sincere friends who truely care for me than I can count, and Vanessa, a truely amazing partner that tops the long lists of fortunes Ive been blessed with.

My most sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed to the awesomeness that is my life. I love it. Thanks.

MaX

1 comment:

Annie Thompson said...

Thank YOU Maxie - for blessing OUR lives! Love you & your sweetie too!
The big sis.